[libre-riscv-dev] Introduction

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 04:03:50 BST 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 6:09 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 15, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You may want to learn Rust since it's being used for Kazan (the Vulkan 3D
> > graphics driver), as well as an IEEE 754 reference floating-point
> > implementation, an algebraic numbers library (basically computing using
> > exact real numbers using *lots* of number theory magic; the reference FP
> > implementation uses it to do arithmetic), and a few other parts of our
> > project.
> >
> > Also, I find Rust to be awesome coming from a background in C/C++. No more
> > mysterious SIGSEGV or buffer overflows! (had quite a few of those in the
> > old C++ version of my Minecraft-like game.) Also, Rust makes it easy to
> > manage your source code when building a project since it has an awesome
> > package/build manager named cargo. It's the #1 most loved language on
> > stackoverflow 4 years in a row for a good reason! (I'll just leave it at
> > that for now, I could go on for pages)
> >
> > https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/01/20/what-is-rust-and-why-is-it-so-popular/
>
> Hehe Jacob I’m a kindred spirit. While she was writing a google maps clone for school in c++ I tried to help her once or twice and she got annoyed at how many times I got frustrated at simple things like “cout << endl” and said “this would be so much easier in rust!”

At least C++ is type safe, printf is a security nightmare, especially
when using a dynamic format string.

Also, openstreetmaps is definitely the place to get data if building a
maps application. It's good enough that Apple used it to jump start
their maps app (unfortunately without giving credit -- they got into
deep trouble for that)