[libre-riscv-dev] AMD ISAs

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:25:22 BST 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020, 16:17 Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> We could have a fake "PCIE AMD-like GPU" that AMD drivers talk to.
> This device then issues instructions on the CPU/GPU hybrid.

we would run into issues with AMD's (and other's) patents, I'm pretty sure
they haven't licensed the patents necessary to implement an AMD-compatible
GPU.

Also, that would defeat the purpose of a lot of what we're implementing
with a Power compatible ISA, having the CPU and GPU be the same processor,
and having an extensible design such that someone could add their own
custom operations on top of our code if they wanted.