[libre-riscv-dev] publish crowdsupply update ourselves

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 5 02:54:20 BST 2020

On Friday, June 5, 2020, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> since crowdsupply is taking such a long time (about 3mo, I think), I think
> we should just publish the last update ourselves, otherwise it will be waay
> out of date by the time it's finally published.
>
> We should probably also set up an announcements mailing list such that we
> can just email everyone on it, and, since we control it, we won't have to
> wait for crowdsupply or someone else.
>
> What do the rest of you think?

they reach far more people, with a much greater impact.

it is a very exclusive platform.

to build the same mailing list with the same reach would require us to hire
and create a marketing and PR team.

even large well established innovative companies do not do that.

what do they do?

use a crowdfunding platform.

i feel it is worth continuing to be patient with them, given the longterm
support they've shown for so many years.