[libre-riscv-dev] how do we test external interrupts?

Samuel Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:54:59 BST 2020

I might be stating the obvious; but, according to
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/virt/kvm/devices/xive.html, it
looks like XICS is a POWER7- / POWER8-related specification.
Wikipedia indicates POWER7 was released around 2010-ish.  Maybe
finding specs dated about that time would be a good place to look?  (I
tried but wasn't successful.)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 6:31 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> i've started on the XICS controller, and have converted both the ICS and
> ICP.  a simple unit test on XICS-ICS shows it to be functional.
>
> however we are hampered in several ways:
>
> 1) there does not appear to exist an actual accessible specification.
>
> 2) the only implementations are source code (linux kernel, qemu)
>
> 3) nobody else has written unit tests
>
> 4) given that XICS is involved in *external* interrupts, how do we even
> *begin* to write a unit test that runs under e.g. qemu and the simulator,
> here??
>
> so i'd like to open up the discussion to develop a strategy here.
>
> my feeling is that we may have to create a simulated peripheral (an
> interrupt driven 16550 UART) in ISACaller which would allow exploration,
> here.
>
> thoughts welcome.
>
> l.
>

> --