[libre-riscv-dev] Name change from Libre-RISCV to Libre-SOC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 24 19:25:54 GMT 2020

On 1/24/20, Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:
> For reasons previously discussed, I remember somebody mentioning that we
> should change our name to Libre-SOC.
>
> It seems like this is already the case on the main page - at least
> partially,
>
> https://libre-riscv.org
>
> The main page reads:
>
>> Welcome to Libre-SoC!
>
>> Libre-RISCV is an effort to develop an completely open/Libre SOC that is
>> open to the bedrock!
>
> I imagine we should probably change Libre-RISCV to Libre-SOC in the second
> line.
>
> Also, I imagine that at some point in time we should propagate this change
> to all occurrences throughout the website,

i knooow.... sigh

> - but at least for now, this
> section being the first things that interested individuals read, should
> reflect our current status - and shouldn’t use two names in the first
> section?

yep just adjusting that.

btw, there really is a distinction between "open" and "libre".  adding
a catchall "this project is libre / open" is misleading and
inaccurate.  a good article basically summarises as, "libre has
ethical intentions as the absolute top priority, quotes open quotes
source does not".

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html