[libre-riscv-dev] HDL workflow page

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 24 08:34:23 GMT 2020

On 1/24/20, Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

>>  plan in advance to write not just code but a full test suite for that
>> code.  this is not optional. large python projects that do not have unit
>> tests FAIL (see separate section below).
> Also extremely important - maybe this should be the first bullet point

good idea, done.

>>  ## Operating Systems
>> "yosys in particular warns that trying to use Windows, *BSD or MacOS will
>> get you into a world of pain.”
> I agree - Linux is DeFacto - but this did get me thinking:
>
> Yosys support on BSD and MacOS works fine these days.

we kinda need a standard so that if people get stuck we're not
floundering around or have to write scripts that specifically support
a windows user for example.  too small for that.
hardware.

> Michael Nolan also has a similar story.

i did get a macbook pro 2012.  there is no way i would get a modern one.

i just got a (donated) dell. yes the trackpad "works".  it is
unfortunate that modern hardware we need is on the pioneering edge of
reverse-engineering.

yes hardware support in linux is always about reverse engineering, why
do you think we're doing this project.