[libre-riscv-dev] PowerISA, NLNet grants

Immanuel, Yehowshua U yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 18 19:36:51 GMT 2020

Well here’s what I’ll say.

Despite RISCV Foundation’s apparent discrimination against Free Software efforts at large…
I think we should stick with RISCV namely because RISCV has near ARM levels of software support.

This is no accident. Hennessy and Patterson from Berkely in 2014 started meeting with key Universities and execs at companies…

I assume our goal is not just to create a Libre Gpu - but to see it get adoption. I fully believe this is possible or else I wouldn’t have joined.

If we go with POWER architecture, we’ll have a lot more work to do. I could only find a basic Linux kernel available for POWER and no packages nor HDL reference implmentations.

Given that we are working off of limited funding, it would be best to put our funds to good use and not implementing with POWER what already exists for RISCV.

That being said, if the $5000 annual membership fee for RISCV is an issue, I am willing to pay it personally.
I believe sticking with POWER will cost much more than $5000 in labor than sticking with RISCV.

What are your thoughts?