[libre-riscv-dev] DDR PHY

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Feb 24 15:45:21 GMT 2020

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 3:26 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 24, 2020, at 5:58 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > no problem.  i use gmail as well.  the top priority is to disable
> > "rich text", always *ALWAYS* expand the [stupid] three dots, and get
> > [repeatedly] into the habit of reading the entire message.
> >
> > l.
>
> Thanks. Will do :)
>
> One follow up question from my lengthy DDR and PHY questions that you’ve answered above. I believe you said SymbolicEDA will produce a libre PHY for EUR 600,00.

EUR 600,000, not EUR 60,000.

> I still am struggling to comprehend what PHY “is”,

look it up.  PHY.  physical.  physical interface.

> I think essentially I’m having trouble correctly identitfying the separate functionality and the differences in design process and requirements for the controller and the PHY. I understand that *making* our own PHY is vastly beyond the scope of this project, but I think it is still important for me to understand the memory system and how it is synthesized in a non-technical sense in order to better understand the totality of ASIC design and synthesis. I’ve done a lot of googling and I’m still having trouble with this concept, can you point me in the right direction or to a resource that might help me understand better?

honestly i can't. i simply picked it up by inference after noticing
the context in which the word was used, a lot.

"judgement" of "what is not understood or known right now" is a key
mistake made by a lot of people.  "i don't understand EVERYTHING -
every single absolute last tiny detail - therefore i'm going to freeze
and lock up solid and fail to progress any further".

don't understand?  pause... record the fact...  record the context
(mentally) of the use of the word which is not understood.... note its
use later.... collate MORE instances of where the word is used....
cross-associate them.... notice the DIFFERENCES when the word is
used....

... and over time, the end result is: understanding through context
results in a natural inference of the word, without anyone or anything
actually ever telling you what it "means".