[libre-riscv-dev] "I'm afraid we're going backwards here."

Ing. Clive Tovero clive.tovero at aol.com
Sat Feb 22 22:15:48 GMT 2020

Hello Libre-SOCiety,

Instead of generating potentially more environmentally incompatible
landfill by generating Libre-SOC, why can't we continue using what we
have until there is _some_ bio-compatibility.  There is of course, the
fact that old devices might use more energy, as well as other
complications and "mitigating factors".  "Cash for clunkers," (not
exactly the same idea) was a program in the U.S. for getting gross
polluting cars off the road--my lungs are thankful, but wasn't
side-effect free.

What if we streamlined the software to just the bare essentials, made
the software more energy efficient, and ran it on our existing or
recycled H/W until manufacturers pledged "We don't make e-junk, or junk
at all!"  Reverse the trend of features to spin watt-hour meters...and
generating such intellectual contributions of "Oooh, aaaah, and cutesy,
cutesy? [sic]".

Consider this link, given to me anonymously:

http://philip.greenspun.com/business/mobile-phone-as-home-computer

To that end, I'm going to do my development on existing equipment only.
Getting back to basic engineering principals and not "hacking" other
than on prototypes would be an idea to examine.

Sincere regards,

Ing. Clive Tovero

P.S.

[I spent 4 hours today tracking down how to create plain text email in
T-bird 60 (really, 60?) through a wall of visual complexity.  If you
it again.  Why doesn't the MF hire someone who can read "Inside
MacIntosh: UI Guidelines" an start reworking T-bird and F-fox.  Ask the
MF for some grant money.]