[libre-riscv-dev] Eliminate Any Make [was: Avoiding CMake]

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 00:43:35 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 16:21 Scheming Pony <scheming-pony at protonmail.com>
wrote:

> [I was told by list moderators to get back to technical discussion.]
>
> At Boeing, I was taught that safety critical software didn't even use
> 'make'.  Builds, even daily dev ones, compile every single file, every
> single time.  Argue away, but that's how it's done.

'make' and similar programs are still useful as a way to schedule the
compile jobs even if we recompile everything.

I think we should have something set up so every commit gets built and
tested by some server somewhere and we get notifications if it fails. (also
known as CI)

I've been using that with Kazan, where the GitHub mirror builds each commit
and emails me if it fails. I made extra effort to ensure that I'm not
depending on anything specific to GitHub's CI service, so that it's nearly
trivial to run the exact same build process on any computer with Docker.

https://github.com/kazan-3d/kazan/actions