[libre-riscv-dev] Eliminate Any Make [was: Avoiding CMake]

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Feb 20 00:38:51 GMT 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:21 AM Scheming Pony
<scheming-pony at protonmail.com> wrote:

> [I was told by list moderators to get back to technical discussion.]

pffh, not me, and i'm the list moderator.  i agreed that it would be
*nice* to get back to technical discussion.

> At Boeing, I was taught that safety critical software didn't even use 'make'.

oh dear.

> Builds, even daily dev ones, compile every single file, every single time.
> Argue away, but that's how it's done.

this sounds terribly fraught with serious problems such as incorrectly
typing compile commands or
forgetting to run them and using old object files.

if you had said that they used replicable builds and had several
independent people doing
manual compiles as a final build check, i would be very much reassured.