[libre-riscv-dev] Avoiding CMake

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 19 15:02:03 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM Immanuel, Yehowshua U
<yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> This is a matter of personal preference, but I hope we’re not using CMake for anything.

don't worry: i was the lead developer on samba-tng and freedce.  i
totally get autoconf and automake, and know exactly what it's for and
why it's used.

consequently: anyone suggesting CMake will be thrown to the same lions
that are fat from suggestions of moving to github.  anyone suggesting
SCons i won't respond for a few days because i will be too busy
recovering from laughing hysterically.

> Its so behemoth and tends to create more problems down the road than its worth.
>
> The way I usually like to do things is have a makefile and then variables.mk.
>
> If you need to port you project from one system to another, just modify variables.mk to point to the right tools.

yyyup.

> Comments/thoughts?

we're doing this in python, and the build OS is debian.  this project
isn't designed to run on "portable" lines.  if you don't have debian
(or in a pinch ubuntu) you go get a VM or a second machine and install
the dev environment under that.

we absolutely do not need the hassle of "supporting" other build
environments right now.