[libre-riscv-dev] AI Accelerator

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 5 17:47:50 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 5:40 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020, 02:30 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:

> > thus, yes, *ultra-fast* general purpose computers are BXPA restricted
> > (considered to be weapons). 18 months ago i met someone with a Dell laptop
> > that had 128 GB of RAM. he wasn't allowed to take it out of the US.
> >

> Wait, seriously?!!

yes.

> I know plenty of companies sell servers with waay more ram (multiple TB).

that's not a laptop - a portable (read: smugglable) item is it?

> Also, I wasn't able to find any relevant google results for BXPA. Is that
> the right acronym?

yes, because when i worked for Internet Security Systems in 1999 i was
subject to it.  this was the classification under which things like
"100 metre long oil pipes which happened to be tapered and heavily
reinforced towards one end" typically were classified as a "Munition",
except some bright spark in the same department decided to add
"software" to it.

there's probably a more "modern" name for it - ECCN, EAR99, etc. etc.