[libre-riscv-dev] AI Accelerator

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 17:40:38 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020, 02:30 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 5, 2020, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > and, even if it's a few orders of magnitude slower,
>

> not quite. it's like the crypto export restrictions.  above a certain
> capability, hardware is powerful enough to crack certain algorithms, or be
> used to encrypt data in bulk and with sufficient complexity large enough
> such that it overwhelms intelligence gathering resources to decrypt within
> an active operational timespan.
>
> thus, yes, *ultra-fast* general purpose computers are BXPA restricted
> (considered to be weapons). 18 months ago i met someone with a Dell laptop
> that had 128 GB of RAM. he wasn't allowed to take it out of the US.

Wait, seriously?!! I knew more than 56-bit encryption used to be export
restricted, I've never heard of large memory quantities being restricted
and wasn't able to find any mentions in the United States Munitions List
(where cryptography is):
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=pt22.1.121

I know plenty of companies sell servers with waay more ram (multiple TB).

Also, I wasn't able to find any relevant google results for BXPA. Is that
the right acronym?