[libre-riscv-dev] GitLab CI Archiver

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:25:33 BST 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020, 09:16 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 4:42 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I ended up writing a Rust program that does at least part of
> > what we need (I thought it might take an hour or two -- it took 10):
>
> we need to be careful about that: sysadmin tasks are typically done in
> bash, using awk, sed, grep, curl and others.
>
> alain will definitely be unable to work on rust programs: he'll be
> able to install and use them but it will take him potentially 3-8
> months full-time (doing nothing else) to get to the point where he
> could _modify_ - take over - anything written in rust, and maintain
> it.

Once the modifications mentioned in the other thread are done, it's highly
likely to not need modification. I split out nearly all the things that are
likely to change into an external toml config file, which should be easy to
modify/understand. It also has full-featured command line help and
autocompletion thanks to the structopt and clap libraries.
I'm not the only one who knows Rust if something goes wrong, and most of
the code is quite simple (though it could just be me that thinks that since
I've been working on Kazan which is *very* complex).