[libre-riscv-dev] LLVM 9.0 Release

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 20:40:26 BST 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019, 11:32 Michael Pham <pham.michael.98 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> LLVM 9.0 has just been released.
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LLVM-9.0-Clang-9.0-Released
>
> The most relevant piece for us is that Alex's LLVM RISC-V fork from
> lowRISC is now successfully upstreamed and RISC-V is now an official
> backend! So we don't need to use lowRISC's version of LLVM anymore.

yay!

I've been following llvm's mailing list, so was already aware that the
risc-v backend is no longer experimental -- I think I mentioned that on
another thread, but am not sure.

> Some other interesting facts but less relevant is that LLVM can now
> build the mainline Linux kernel (the Linux kernel for the longest time
> could only be exclusively built with gcc but that's changed now).

didn't know that, but did know Google's been working on upstreaming all
their Android work, which would probably include that.