[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] 3D Matrix-style operations / primitives

Rogier Brussee rogier.brussee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 15:29:11 BST 2019

Op woensdag 18 september 2019 08:28:38 UTC+2 schreef Jacob Lifshay:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019, 22:24 lkcl <luke.l... at gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
>> does anyone know of some mathematics for analysing which would be the
>> best "primitives" for Matrix operations, suited to transposition and
>> inversion, determinant and normalisation?
>>
>> for 3D that generally means just 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4.
>>

> Generally, for 3D graphics, matrix left/right-multiplication by
> vector/matrix and transpose is by far more common than all the other matrix
> operations combined, so having special HW support for inverse, determinant,
> and normalize (never heard of that applied to matrices before) is probably
> unnecessary.

Linear algebra can be arbitrarily hard. Numerical linear algebra is very
hard in practice. The canonical primitives are in the BLAS Fortran library.
That said THE primitive is dot product between vectors.

>> i'm looking up how matrix inverses are calculated and, hoo-boy :)
>> https://integratedmlai.com/matrixinverse/
>> https://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-Inverse-of-a-3x3-Matrix

NOOH to do do matrix inversion (which you basically never want to do) you
use the QR decomposition of the matrix i.e. write A = QR with Q an
orthogonal matrix and R upper triangular which can be chosen with non
negative elements on the diagonal.

 Then
A^{-1} = R^{-1}Q^{-1} = R^{-1}Q^t.

Computing a QR decomposition is a O(n^3) operation, and doing it
numerically stable is well studied but difficult.

> normalisation looks to be just "divide by the determinant":
>> http://mymathforum.com/linear-algebra/18218-how-do-i-normalize-matrix.html

NOOOH. She divides every column by the length of the column.

> so... i am logically deducing that if you wanted something RISC-like,
>> you'd have operations for transpose and determinant?  or... can determinant
>> be broken down further into something elegant?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant

NOOOH.  Determinants are very slick theoretically, but seldom useful for
computations unless the matrix has special form.

whilst 2x2 looks pretty obvious - 0,0 x 1,1 - 1,0 x 0,1 - it looks like it
>> goes recursive from there, with permutations:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant#n_%C3%97_n_matrices
>>
>> at that point, honestly, i'm scared/alarmed to even recommend a Matrix
>> Determinant opcode!
>>

> yeah, determinant is an O(n^3) operation (though there may be something
> faster for really big n)

No it really is horrible, O(n^4). You have to basically compute the QR
decomposition  then det(A) = det(QR) = det(Q)det(R) = det(R) = +/-1 * prod
diagonal elements of R.
and I am not even sure how you can track the sign of the determinant while
decomposing.

Of course n =2 is really easy, and n= 3 can easily but tediously expanded.