[libre-riscv-dev] algebraic numbers library

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Sep 16 13:58:04 BST 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> the library doesn't currently have a python interface, will be writing one
> very soon.

ok.

> it should also work for normalize, hypot, and several others. basically
> anything that can be expressed as a combination of nth roots (where n
> should be small), powers, and add/sub/mul/div.

excellent.

> it could also be used for testing add/sub/mul/div/muladd and similar,
> though is probably not the fastest for those.

meant to say, there: speed probably really does not matter :)  i mean,
if it's seconds per value, that matters.  the unit tests are slowing
down due to the huge complexity, some of them get only around 3-4
computations a second.

really should sort that out by testing out compiling with verilator.

> it does support much more precision than even f128 (exact results are the
> highest precision possible), so can be used for testing all our fp needs
> except for transcendentals (though I also have interval-based arithmetic in
> there that got the right answer to a 200ish decimal digit exp()
> calculation, we can add more transcendentals there).

cool.