[libre-riscv-dev] whole stack of vulkan llvm spirv stuff

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 14:02:46 BST 2019

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:38 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> so, just to check: is there anything about SV (or SPIR-V) that makes
> it "impractical" to not follow what every single other CPU / GPU with
> SIMD / Vectorisation is doing, which is to put the whole-function
> vectorisation into the LLVM-IR to assembler translator?

As far as I know, AMDGPU is the only LLVM backend that implements
vectorization in the LLVM-IR to machine-code translation portion.
Everything else can translate already-vectorized operations to SIMD
instructions, but relies on LLVM's basic-block and loop vectorizers
(which are not sufficient for Kazan) to actually generate the vector
operations.