[libre-riscv-dev] funding for work on algebraics

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Oct 10 11:57:50 BST 2019

On Thursday, October 10, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I ended up spending about 2 mo writing algebraics, which was supposed to be
> a short side-project to provide reference implementations of
> non-transcendental operations since softfloat didn't provide them all. Once
> I finish writing all the ieee754 operations using algebraics (shouldn't
> take long, probably 10 lines of code per function on average) and the
> python bindings (already mostly completed for RealAlgebraicNumber, should
> be quite simple for ieee 754 library), we can then use it from nmigen.

Excellent.

> Would you consider funding part of the time I spent on it ($500-1000)? I
> admittedly built it when other libraries (sympy) would have probably
> sufficed with much less effort.

A lesson there: keep in touch and talk about the decisions that you make or
intend to make!

We'll have to speak to NLNet and ask them, because I also didn't do
anything on the milestones list for 2 months, now, and paying for the
flight to Toronto was supposed to be sponsored.

If nothing else we have the money from Purism so it can be covered, however
it is the only sponsorship not tied to milestones with "audit links".

Alternatively if make some $ or find sponsors I can arrange something, will
keep you informed.

it would be useful for testing and probably
> for formal correctness proofs (though we're not getting funding for that
> just yet).

Yehyeh.

NLnet will be busy for a couple more weeks going through applications.
We'll have a chance to speak with them after that.

L.