[libre-riscv-dev] multi issue

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu May 30 23:58:06 BST 2019

we will additionally need to decide which variety of long instruction
encoding we will support: the encoding in the original spec or the new
encoding proposed by clifford wolf.

The way I had been planning on decoding multiple instructions is to read
multiple 16-bit units from the instruction cache, then, for every unit,
calculate the length of the instruction that might start at that unit, then
calculate which units actually start instructions for the first N
instructions, where N is the max decode count, then mux the instructions
into N ILEN-bits slots where each slot additionally has a valid bit. the N
slots then can be then enqueued into the instruction queue. the fetch
address would then be updated by the number of units that were successfully
added to the queue.