[libre-riscv-dev] Progress on KCP53000B and its IFU

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 28 17:18:47 BST 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 4:22 PM Samuel Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I've completed the (Tilelink) IFU design.  I emphasize
> "think", because without the rest of the processor being built, it's
> not yet possible to know if I'm truly done or not.

 annoying, isn't it? :)  to have something that you can't know if it's
good until the entire design's done.

 the one we'll need for the soc will have to cope with 16-48 bit
instruction lengths *and* be multi-issue, and split out the "vector"
part.  that's going to be fun.  probably the only sane way to do that
is going to be to remap everything to orthogonal 32-bit.

> My next major step is to work on the IXU design.  But, before that
> works, I would like to make an intermediate design which couples the
> IFU with the ROMA core (thus letting me read from flash ROM) and
> passing the lower 8-bits of each "instruction" fetched out to a set of
> LEDs.  This will provide visual confirmation that everything is
> working.

 good idea.

> Per previous discussions, I could take the time to also create a
> Wishbone B4 pipelined IFU as well.  Unlike Luke, I have no particular
> deadlines for the Kestrel project, so I'll let Luke decide the
> priority here.

 wishbone... mmm... don't worry about it so much.  i am leaning
towards axi4 because for the virtual memory and cache infrastructure
we're absorbing much of ariane (converted to nmigen), and it's all
axi4 based.

> *  *  *
>
> Unrelated, I now have another group interested in the evolution of the
> Kestrel Computer Project.  In particular, I collaborate on the design
> and construction of various fursuit/cosplay ideas, and my Kestrel
> project has come to light there.  We have been having some issues with
> the Teensie board we've been using in the past (not enough I/Os), and
> with Raspberry Pis (too *slow* I/O; the AXI -> AHB/APB bridge is just
> too costly to keep up sometimes), and so now they're interested in the
> possibility of using FPGAs programmed with a KCP53000 or KCP53000B
> processor for their embedded development needs.

 nice.