[libre-riscv-dev] uniform instruction format

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 13:31:29 BST 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 05:06 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > One way to handle svlen is to have vstart count to VL*SVLEN instead of
> just
> > to VL. That could simplify the CSR state somewhat.
>
>  grouping the 2 together, in other words.  so instead of destoffs (6
> bits) and subvec-destoffs (2 bits), and having effectively 2 nested
> loops, it's a single loop.

one way to handle it is to have a single architecturally-visible vstart,
with twin predication, the predicate masks are known, so the architecture
can count set bits to determine the other vstart. two vstart values can be
kept in the microarchitecture (for the common cases) and one can be
invalidated on a csr write.
This should work just fine if vstart being written by user software is
extremely rare (which it should be, since it's just for exception handling
and context switching). Assuming vstart csr writes are rare, even a
bit-serial bit counter (2 shift registers and 2 counters) should suffice,
allowing saving area.

> > Though having a separate
> > 2-bit field in vstart may be better after all
>
>  the issue is, when it comes to predication (and restarting in the
> middle of a context-switch) it would be necessary to

not really, basically svlen!=1 is treated mostly like an equivalent
svlen==1 op with VL multiplied and the predicate bits duplicated/expanded.
so, for a vl*4 op, vstart=6 means start with the outer loop index at 1
(6/4) and the subvector element index at 2 (6%4). for vl*3, vstart=16 means
the outer loop index is 5 (16/3) and the subvector element index is 1
(16/3).