[libre-riscv-dev] Safety Critical support

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 04:28:17 BST 2019

additional links:
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2017-03//2017/02/20/accepted-sessions.html#18

I think the safety critical versions of Rust probably won't be available
for at least a year or two, and there isn't currently a safety critical
vulkan specification (there is a safety critical version of opengl es
though: opengl sc).

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, 19:59 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Thursday, June 13, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I found this interesting post about getting Rust certified for safety
> > critical applications:
> > https://ferrous-systems.com/blog/sealed-rust-the-pitch/
> >
> > I think it would be a good idea to think about maybe supporting safety
> > critical applications with our current SoC or a future version.
>

> Yes, run before walk. Safety critical can be the subject of its own funding
> proposal and as such would be a separate project, under its own scope and
> direction.
>
> We need to get the core done first.
>
> That said, I have already planned ahead, because of the formal proofs, to
> keep the instruction commits in strict execution order, no matter what,
> even on multi issue.
>
> Normally on a multi issue system, if there is no possibility of an
> exception or interrupt being needed, FUs that are ready to commit are
> permitted to contend for resources (regfiles, memory) in any order they see
> fit.
>
> I do not feel (intuitively) that a mathematical formal proof of such a
> system would be easy or even possible in a sane completion time.
>
> Whereas the round robin in, round robin out scheme protecting a series of
> what is in essence an array of FIFOs (described a few days ago) seems to me
> to be well within the realm of proveably correct.
>
> Which reminds me we must actually write the proposal.
>
> Jacob would you like to do a writeup of a safety critical proposal, store
> it on the wiki for review and submission at some point in the future? Use
> the present (2019.02) one as a template.

maybe in a few days.
if someone else with more experience dealing with safety critical software
or hardware (I have close to none) wants to write it, feel free.