[libre-riscv-dev] System-Wide Complexity Rant (was store computation unit)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jun 6 02:52:02 BST 2019

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:53 PM Samuel Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 12:03 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >  http://linux-sunxi.org/EGON
> >
> > Follow the trail. Next page is BROM.
>
> Yup, and if you notice, I cover all these scenarios in the 3 ROM
> configuration options I listed in my original rant message.
>
> Even Amiga had multi-stage boot-loaders[1]; I'm not suggesting they're
> completely unnecessary.  But, I simply believe that it is possible for
> the system hardware to abstract away a lot of the details of the
> underlying hardware in a way that supports rather than impedes simpler
> software stacks.  I guess this is where you and I disagree (or, at
> least, I take it as disagreement).

oh, sorry, you misunderstand: i don't disagree at all.  my point was,
i view it as... ahh... based on the historical track record of SoC
designs as um "unrealistic" maybe, plus having dealt with it and
accepted the situation as it stands, i have less of an issue with the
lack of standardisation.

that having been said, knowing how much effort it would save, i'd be
delighted if someone else came up with realistic standards here that
stood a chance of being widely adopted.