[libre-riscv-dev] kazan | Dual license (#6)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Feb 24 19:19:10 GMT 2019

On Monday, February 25, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There's a new issue on Kazan about wanting to dual license Kazan to allow
> static linking. I think adding the classpath exception to Kazan's license
> should retain the copyleftness and specifically allow both static and
> dynamic linking. Kazan is currently on the LGPLv2.1 or later.

The classpath exemption is because classpath is licensed under the GPL not
the LGPL.

Static linking is permitted with the LGPL to proprietary binaries, without
implying any obligation to release the proprietary source code.

They are however obligated to provide source code modifications if any of
the *library*.

I specifically recommended its use for precisely this reason.

The issue may be closed as INVALID. No exemption or license change is
required.

Further discussion I would recommend be continued based on payment of
consultation fees for education on Libre Licenses.