[libre-riscv-dev] IEEE754 FPU

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Feb 18 19:08:46 GMT 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 06:14:55PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ok got it, line 112 was off because tabs were being used on
> surrounding lines, however that one was using spaces.  or perhaps the
> other way round.
>
> this is why pep8 *requires* the use of 4 spaces.... and why i use vim
> and set those options "sw=4, ts=4, expandtab".

Or make your editor never use tabs at all.

The ancient tab conventions were tabs every 8 columns.

But that's not what people wanted to use when writing programs, so
other conventions came about.

One British computer system (late 60's or early 70's I believe
introduced a character into their character set that meant four spaces.
They found it quite useful -- notice it was always four spaces, no
matter where in the line it occurred.  Possibly easy to type (I didn't
hear about their keyboard layout) but a decided space saver -- back in
the days when everything was smaller.

Of course this was in the days when every computer system had its own
character set.

Diehards like me still stick to eight spaces (this still works most
places) but I've found that the safest is not to use tabs at all.

-- hendrik