[libre-riscv-dev] development workflow

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Feb 18 13:17:43 GMT 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:49:11PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> >
> > I haven't heard of angband.pl's "nosystemd" packages.
>
>  maintained by kilobyte, he created a recompilation of debian packages
> with "--without-systemd" added to the debian/rules configuration
> options.
>
> > I use devuan instead.  It's debian that someone else has gone to the
> > trouble of removing systemd.
>
>  yeahh, unfortunately that brings its own problems if you're running
> normally on debian/testing and occasionally need debian/unstable
> packages.

devuan has unstable: devuan/ceres.

Though I'm not sure how identical it is.

>  plus, devuan's mission is "to be inclusive to *all* init systems"...
> so why is systemd excluded??  there's a cognitive dissonance there
> that i can't accept.

They don't have the resources to do it all.

Systemd forces enough change that they would have to support multiple
versions of packages for with and without systemd.  I don't think the
package managers has enough generality to sort this out in dependency
management.

And the official stance seems to be that Debian is already doing the
job of providing systemd -- which it certainly is.  Devuan therefore
provides choice by catering to those that do not want systemd, thereby
providing choice.

-- hendrik