[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] Re: SV / RVV, marking a register as VL.

Daniel Petrisko petrisko at cs.washington.edu
Sat Aug 31 02:02:28 BST 2019

> I assume here that adds are more useful than anything else except what is available now.

Atomic adds are also significantly more expensive (gates) than other CSR operations. Since CSRs operations are not typically performance critical, I think most architects would rather reuse the ALU with a traditional read modify write sequence.

An extra 64 bit adder for atomic CSR adds would be unacceptable for low-end implementations, and reusing the ALU for 3-part atomic CSR adds is unnecessary complexity.

As suggested earlier, memory-mapping CSRs would allow one to get all AMOs for “free”, but in a very platform-specific way. Does anyone know if there’s precedent for that scheme, in current RISC-V implementations or uarchs for other ISAs?

Best,
Dan Petrisko