[libre-riscv-dev] a new toy

Samuel Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 22:51:34 BST 2019

I think the biggest achievement I've made in BASIC was, literally,
accidentally reinventing Forth before I even knew what Forth was.  I had
implemented several stacks as various arrays in VisualBasic 3.0 under
Windows 3.1, and implemented parameter passing by populating and
depopulating these stacks as required.  The procedures were invoked by, and
typically were implemented with, long strings of GOSUBs.  Thankfully,
VisualBasic, like AmigaBASIC before it, allowed procedures to be named.
Line numbers would have worked as well, but it'd've made debugging
immensely more difficult.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 2:36 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019, 14:16 Samuel Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And in another forum, I was pondering the idea of porting some of my
> > homegrown RISC-V and Kestrel-3 development tools to Commodore 64 BASIC,
> > thus proving I have no marbles at all to contribute.  ;)
> >
> same here, I wrote a QuickBasic to x86 on DOS compiler in QuickBasic as
> well as an x86 assembler -- QuickBasic doesn't support anything but arrays
> and strings, no pointers or references. (actually got it to compile some
> pretty neat 3D programs, then lost the source because of a corrupted
> filesystem).
>
> Jacob

Samuel A. Falvo II