[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] 3D Open Graphics Alliance

MitchAlsup MitchAlsup at aol.com
Mon Aug 12 18:12:34 BST 2019

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 1:31:44 AM UTC-5, Jacob Lifshay wrote:

> [...]
>
> note: lerp is another term for linear interpolation
>

> > further optimisations will need to be added over time, as well.
> >
> > the pressure on the OP32 space is therefore enormous, given that
> "embedded" low-power requirements cannot be met by moving to the 48 and 64
> bit opcode space.
> >
> > > We need to thus perhaps look at a "minimized" subset of the Vulkan ISA
> > > instructions that truly define the atomic operations from which the
> full
> > > ISA can be constructed. So the instruction decode hardware can
> implement
> > > this "higher-level ISA" - perhaps in microcode - from the "atomic ISA"
> > > at runtime while hardware support is only provided for the "atomic
> ISA".
> >
> > yes.  a microcode engine is something that may be useful in other
> implementations as well (for other purposes) so should i feel be a separate
> proposal.
>
> I personally think that having LLVM inline the corresponding
> implementations of the more complex operations is the better way to
> go. For most Vulkan shaders, they are compiled at run-time, so LLVM
> can do feature detection to determine which operations are implemented
> in the hardware and which ones need a software implementation.
>
> This reduces the pressure on the opcode space by a lot.
>
> > > From the SIGGRAPH BOF it was clear there are competing interests. Some
> people
> > > wanted explicit texture mapping instructions while others wanted HPC
> type
> > >  threaded vector extensions.
> >
> > interesting.
>
> Having texture mapping instructions in HW is a really good idea for
> traditional 3D, since Vulkan allows the texture mode to be dynamically
> selected, trying to implement it in software would require having the
> texture operations use dynamic dispatch with maybe static checks for
> recently used modes to reduce the latency. See VkSampler's docs.
>
> > > Although each of these can be accommodated we need to adjudicate the
> location
> > > in the process pipeline where they belong - atomic ISA, higher-level
> ISA or
> > > higher-level graphics library.
> >
> > OpenCL compliance is pretty straightforward to achieve.  it could be
> done by any standard supercomputer Vector Compute Engine.
> >
> > a good Vector ISA does **NOT** automatically make a successful GPU (cf:
> MIAOW, Nyuzi, Larrabee).
> >
> > 3D Graphics is ridiculously complex and comprehensive, and therefore
> requires careful step-by-step planning to meet the extremely demanding and
> heavily optimised de-facto industry-standard expectations met by modern
> GPUs, today (fixed-functions are out: shader engines are in).
>
> Fixed function operations in the form of custom opcodes or separate
> accelerators are still used for several operations that are rather
> slow to do with standard Vector or SIMD instructions:

When I did a 3D GPU, There was a HW unit each to perform::
a) vertex to thread assignment
b) rasterize primitive
c) interpolate rasterized point
d) Texture load
and some higher layer HW that was used to time the various activities
through the 100,000 clock pipeline.
If you include Tessellation and Geometry, both of whom can generate a
volcano of new primitives, There
are significant performance gains (more than 2×) to be had by doing the
above in HW function units.