[libre-riscv-dev] OpenCL Table

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 08:32:18 BST 2019

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019, 23:58 Michael Pham <pham.michael.98 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible for us to switch to GitLab? I noticed Kazan was using GitLab
> and I don’t see why the Libre RISC-V SoC can’t do the same.

So, there's three parts to why we decided to use what we currently have:

1. running gitlab on libre-riscv.org's server is impractical as-is, the
server doesn't have enough disk space, ram, or cpu power. upgrading will
take time and money.
2. we didn't want to use Debian Salsa (their gitlab instance) as the main
source repository because Luke thought it would be better to have
libre-riscv host our own source code as it gives a sense of legitimacy.
Also, we are unsure if salsa is going to keep operating indefinitely or if
it will be shut down if the cloud providers stop hosting it for free.
3. we want to avoid using GitHub, GitLab (the code hosting service, not the
open-source software), or other proprietary-but-free services as much as
possible from an ethical standpoint.

The above is what we previously decided, which is open to change (except
for part 3 of course).