[libre-riscv-dev] New Person

lkcl lkcl at libre-riscv.org
Wed Oct 10 08:28:12 BST 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:58 AM Daniel Benusovich
<flyingmonkeys1996 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to setup the tools (using the master branch), the libre
> repositories, and complete the instructions found here:
> https://libre-riscv.org/3d_gpu/spike_sv/

 cool!  if you create an account on that ikiwiki, edit should work
fine.  i've reordered things a little.  don't mess about keeping
"copies" of the notes, just save directly to the wiki.

> Thankfully no need for any additional tools to set everything up from
> riscv-tools for elf-gcc-7.2.0 or elf-gcc, just good old build scripts
> provided by the repository.

whew, that's good to hear

> I can confirm that both the RISCV and the PATH variables must be set prior
> to running the unit tests in riscv-tests. Are the resulting output files
> expected to be empty?

 with the standard spike? yes

> A flurry of the buggers were generated but they are
> empty; though my guess is these tests exist to verify that all the includes
> and whatnot were generated properly.

 yep.  if there's an error, you'll know about it.  unix behavioural
rules apply: silence is success, only errors produce output.

> In addition I was able to compile and run a Hello World program using the
> elf-gcc-7.2.0/elf-gcc and spike simulator respectively.

 superb!

> I am pretty sure
> the simulator is using the stock riscv-isa-sim and not the augmented
> version provided by libre.

 yes.  you will need to do "make install" on the spike-sv as a dynamic
library is built by spike, and as the spike executable goes looking
for that in standard places and standard places only (usually
/usr/local/lib or other location in LD_LIBARY_PATH or entries listed
in /etc/ld.so.conf) it's just easier to do "make install".

> A task for tomorrow indeed.

 :)

> It would be good to move the setting of the RISCV and PATH variables to the
> top of the installation procedure.

 done - feel free to make any edits yourself on things that you find.
things that the eeveryday folk leave behind...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQMMPFtoG4

> Would've saved a bit of a headache. Also
> a link to the riscv-tools would've made things a tad bit easier:
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-tools and specification on which branch
> should or could be used (master in my case).

 added as well

> I will try messing around reinstalling everything again tomorrow and have a
> more comprehensive guide on how it should work including trying to use the
> libre augmented spike simulator rather than the riscv-tools version.

 you shouldn't need a total reinstall: now that the tools, env and so
on are all there, you should either be able to do those two git clone
and checkouts *or* just go into the riscv-tools equivalents and do the
"git checkout -b sv" in riscv-tools and riscv-isa-sim there.  oh, but
editing .git/config first.

 ehh you'll work it out :)