[libre-riscv-dev] SoC Video Output

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 19:02:43 BST 2018

I was wondering if the video output we were planning on using with the new
GPU supports multiple video planes (basically like windows in a GUI, but
implemented in hardware) and if there is a driver already written
supporting KMS with mmap-able framebuffers, where the memory is allocated
from system ram (aka not being slow for the cpu to access or uncachable)
and where each framebuffer can be allocated a little larger than what's
actually used so the GPU can have the framebuffer laid out in a tiled
fashion when rendering to it then transition back to a linear layout for
display? If the driver is not upstream yet, we should try to get it
upstream soon so we can use the upstream kernel on the soc.

Also, it would be useful to be able to display directly from the tiled
version so the driver doesn't need to convert back to a linear layout.