[Libre-soc-dev] Requesting explanation of what happened during today's meeting

Sadoon Albader sadoon at albader.co
Sun Jan 28 18:02:44 GMT 2024

Hi Luke, good to hear and I wish you a swift recovery. Take care of yourself.

I'm writing to let everybody know that I won't be coming to FOSDEM. Again to
reiterate there are no ill feelings from my side, just a decision that has
been broiling in my mind for the past 6 months, and I have considered leaving
*after* FOSDEM for my mental health's sake for at least two months now, life
has been hectic. The recent conflicts and me being buried in work over the
next few weeks sealed the deal.

If anyone should choose to do my talks in my stead, a few pointers to help:

\- For distro porting all you need are the wiki pages and the scripts. You
could spin up a presentation in less than an hour with that material. It's all
well documented and/or self-explanatory.

\- For poly1305, or what's been completed anyways, the three main features to
focus on are:

  1. The "inline" simulator function, really great for embedding ASM/SVP64 inside python code that already works. Focus on how this can help massively with porting any crypto or other algorithms, it really cut the time I needed to work.

  2. The script to generate a csv with random data in it and test it against the python/SVP64 implementation, depends on the C implementation in the same directory. Generally a good idea to use a common format between multiple implementations and csv works great here and reduces unnecessary headaches finding a good format during development. (kinda like python itself but I digress)

  3. The actual SVP64 code, it doesn't go into too much implementation at this point and is missing the main MUL/ADD part but this is the part where you can use Konstantinos' excellent chacha20 work to showcase what SVP64 can do.

Basically most of my work on poly1305 was on making it easier to do actual
porting especially for absolute beginners in vectorization like myself.
chacha20 is a better example for actual implementation.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help with the details.