[Libre-soc-dev] FOSDEM 2024

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Dec 5 03:16:09 GMT 2023

On Monday, December 4, 2023, Konstantinos Margaritis <
konstantinos at vectorcamp.gr> wrote:
> ---- On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 17:22:17 +0200 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
wrote ---

>  >
>  >
>  > On Thursday, November 23, 2023, Konstantinos Margaritis
konstantinos at vectorcamp.gr> wrote:
>  > > Hello all,
>  > >
>  > > I have submitted a talk for demoing how to write SVP64 code
>  >
>  >   "There is no hardware, not even in FPGA form, so forget about
>  >    booting to Linux!"
>  >
>  > can you please update that to
>  >
>  >   "There is no hardware; FPGA has however been running for over
>  >    2 years, and booting to microwatt linux-5.7 has been achieved
>  >    (at 5,000 instructions per second) demonstrating Power ISA
>  >    3.0 SFS capability under verilator."
>  >
>  > otherwise it gives a false and misleading impression, not just
>  > of the project overall but also risks denigrating NLnet and
>  > the EU Funding that resulted in the successful FPGA and verilator
>  > work.
>
> But there is *no* hardware that runs SVP64 instructions currently,

False. TestIssuer has been capable of running the
Embedded Compliancy Subset of SVP64 since its inception.
(see https://libre-soc.org/openpower/sv/compliancy_levels/)

> that's the point.

Konstantinos: please listen.

your statement is deceptive and misleading.

given that you are only familiar with an extremely small
part of the full history and development behind the 5 year
NLnet-funded Libre-SOC Project, if you are not clear
exactly as to why your abstract is misleading and can in no
way be approved until resolved please ask questions until
you have fully understood.

this is your responsibility.

microwatt linux 5.7 refers to joel shenki's buildroot environment
made available in 2021 as part of IBM research promotion of
Power ISA 3.0

it is "linux" as far as the average reader is concerned
and therefore when you state quite plainly and very publicly
"LibreSOC is incapable of running linux" you are damaging
the project's reputation and that of NLnet.