[Libre-soc-dev] Installing an X terminal on an Android phone

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 22:12:57 GMT 2023

On Sun, Dec 3, 2023, 13:43 Hendrik Boom via Libre-soc-dev <
libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 11:13:55AM +0200, Thierry Deval via Libre-soc-dev
> wrote:
> > On 10/9/23 10:00, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton via Libre-soc-dev wrote:
> > > people, you will be amused to know that i have now managed
> > > to install the full dev environment on three smartphones/tablets
> > > by using F-Droid, proot, termux and ANlinux "apps".
>
> There's another Linix-related Android app -- Mocha X11.
> It turns your phone into an X terminal so you can log in
> to a remote computer that uses the X11 protocol.

When I don't feel like walking over to my desktop, i tend to just use ssh
or eternal terminal inside termux, they work quite well! in my experience
with X11 servers on Android, they never work that well, most desktop apps
are designed for mouse and keyboard, neither of which android does very
well with a touch screen. (e.g. you can have the soft keyboard open, but
then 50% of your screen is gone, this is less of a problem on a terminal
since you can just set the font size to pretty small). Also, the remote X11
protocol doesn't support most of the modern features that apps have come to
expect, e.g. Vulkan or fast OpenGL using memory mapping.