[Libre-soc-dev] HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort on SBC (like Raspberry Pi) and on BMC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jan 26 20:52:17 GMT 2021

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 7:54 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's my two cents on this. For the high-bandwidth low-latency
> applications of video and 3d why don't we use on die (on package?, I'm
> not familiar enough to know which) LPDDR4X (0.6V vs 1.1V for LPDDR4)
> which is drastically lower power and much lower latency than off
> external SDRAM.

the majority of power consumption for high-bandwidth communications is
in the multiplexing and the FIFOs just routing the incoming/outgoing
data internally.

i found a datasheet randomly online for a DDR3/4 PHY/Controller, the
"maxed out" configurations (8 AXI4 Ports) were 2 watt *internal* power
consumption at 22nm.  the "seriously dialled down" ones (1 AXI4 port,
extremely small FIFOs) were 200mW but would be worse than useless.