[Libre-soc-dev] daily kan-ban update 25sep2020

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Sep 26 10:53:31 BST 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 12:48 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 06:30 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
>
> > rest of day will write some tests (somehow) to check that the
> > IOconnections through JTAG work.  running this through JTAG will
> > involve writing a mini jtagremote client/server to be able to talk to
> > openocd.
> >

> Sorry, I wasn't able to figure out what you wanted me to do

take the code from the searches i sent "python socket example" (20
lines each) and put them in a file.

take the code from the jtagremote link i sent for litex and convert it
to a python client and a python server (25 lines each)

write unit tests.

that was it.

> and ended up
> running out of time due to other distractions.

ah nuts.

> I'm helping my parents clean out their garage on sunday as a birthday gift
> for my mom,

ah nice!

> so I probably won't be available again till monday.

ok

> In any case, I would still like you to create a gdb-adaptor repo so I can
> push the work I completed yesterday to it, since I had already started
> writing the code to create the GDB protocol to DMI/WB adaptor FSM. The code
> is planned to work over jtag in software or to produce a nmigen FSM.

remember that that is a relatively huge project (compared to the time
we have) - one that to be absolutely honest we don't need right now -
once the debugging, unit tests and other functionality is added.  my
estimates are that, all-in, when full unit testing and simulations in
nmigen, litex (verilator), FPGA and ASIC-netlist are done, it would be
around a 3 to 4 week timescale.

given that Staf's C4M JTAG code *already has* comprehensive unit tests
the use of his code cuts 7-10 days off the equivalent time -
immediately.

i've already done the unit tests for integrating the C4M JTAG code
into libresoc, and the litex sim unit test.

really: it's a major, major distraction, jacob, that you're working on
something that we cannot use without severely compromising us being
able to meet the deadline.