[Libre-soc-dev] interesting blog post about cranelift's new instruction selection pass

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Sep 24 06:30:48 BST 2020

On 9/24/20, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> Found it in this week's This Week in Rust.
>
> Cranelift is the compiler backend that I intend to use as an alternative to
> LLVM for generating machine code in Kazan.

intriguing.

i never thought i would say this, it sounds like compilers could
benefit from functional programming.  the tree inference set by
inductive rules.

in XDC2020 a new AMD GPU RADV compiler is being developed.  they just
had to extend the register allocator to bytelevel in order to fully
recognise the SIMD nature of AMDGPU.

we will need that for SV because of the bytelevel typecasting.  a 64
bit register therefore would need 8 bits in the register allocator map
to be set.