[Libre-soc-dev] daily kan-ban update 10sep2020

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Sep 11 12:34:45 BST 2020

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 12:04 PM Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:56:16 +0100
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
> > yes, that's what would be needed.  to prioritise the PPC_HAS_VSX
> > #ifdef over anything else.  except the problem is: the V3.1B "UNIX
> > Platform Spec" *specifically states* that VSX is ***MANDATORY***.
>
> Any progress on that btw?

none of us are members of the OpenPOWER Foundation so the only route
is via the Microwatt team.  basically the strategy is: we need to wait
for them to try to implement VSX, find out how much Hell it is, and
then there's a much stronger justification for not including it.

already however we know that large companies like NEC etc. have given
up on PowerISA v3.0B and above, choosing to stick with their older
2.08B processors as cash cows.