[Libre-soc-dev] git.libre-soc.org mesa repo branch

vivek pandya vivekvpandya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 03:56:43 BST 2020

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:49 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 5:47 PM vivek pandya <vivekvpandya at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I think we should have waited a little bit.
>
> the transparency requirements of NLnet's "Privacy and Enhanced Trust"
> Grant need to be met, Vivek.  plus if someone else joins you and
> wishes to help out, "waiting" actively prevents and prohibits them
> from doing that, doesn't it?
>
> I agree, but I am bit nervous. The reason is writing a SW renderer through
a JIT is not as easy as writing a toy language JIT for CPU.
There is lots of work yet remaining so this "Initial" driver.

> > Everything is visible and
> > accessible on
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/vivekvpandya/mesa/-/tree/libresoc_dev
> > Until I don't get LLVM jit wrangled all work is mostly labor, nothing
> much
> > smart.
>
> please understand: the "quality" or "status" should in no way be
> considered a deciding factor as to whether code should or should not
> be made available.  it should *always* be made available.   if code is
> not "pushed" within a few minutes of it being written and tested, this
> should be considered a "red flag".

I do push as soon as I get enough confidence about the code after testing.
Even after working ~7 hours on Saturdays and Sundays , for such a policy my
work is considered a "red flag" then that is a little discouraging.

> i've documented this on the HDL_workflow "development practices" page
> https://libre-soc.org/HDL_workflow/
>

> > Is anyone planning to add any code?
>
> if we can find other people to help, yes.  i'm doing two conference
> presentations on LibreSOC for next week so it is likely to happen
> soon.

All the best for conference. It will be really helpful if someone will be
happy to work with us.
Please make sure things are explicitly communicate through bug or this
mailing list (add me to "To") so that I don't endup doing duplicate work.

> > Mostly that won't help until I get LLVM getting generated.
> >
> > I will push vk_format* files in some hours (Internet is down).
>
> are these auto-generated from a command? (if so they should not be
> added, merely the build instructions updated).
>

> > Now I don't
> > know if that will create a mess in the git repository Cole just created.
>
> it shouldn't - if it does, use "git push libresoc +{insert_branch}" to
> fix it (note the "+")
>
> you can either edit the .git/config file by hand (i do that all the
> time) or use some commands (which i don't know) to achieve the same
> effect:

I hope I have write/read access to this git repo so that I can push my
commits and people don't have to merge from gitlab repo.