[Libre-soc-dev] OpenPOWER Summit NA 2020 I See you soon!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Sep 9 19:12:38 BST 2020

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020, 10:23 lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hilarious that they provide a lovely slack forum. clearly they've not
> read
> > the terms and conditions on that :)
>

> I read through Slack's User terms and I didn't notice anything
> objectionable...
> https://slack.com/terms-of-service/user

that'll be because it's waffly bull****.  even this looks "reasonable"
except of course it allows them to do anything else they feel is
"reasonable" including removing what little protection existed.

As our business evolves, we may change these User Terms or the Acceptable
Use Policy <https://slack.com/intl/en-gb/acceptable-use-policy>. If we make
a material change to the User Terms or the Acceptable Use Policy
<https://slack.com/intl/en-gb/acceptable-use-policy>, we will

 no, it's the "privacy" policy that's objectionable.  notice in the
reasonable waffly bull**** the little gem "oh but you of course also accept
the quotes privacy quotes policy"

https://slack.com/intl/en-gb/trust/privacy/privacy-policy?geocode=en-gb

*Device information*. Slack collects information about devices accessing
the Services,

*Location information*. We receive information from you, your Customer and
other third-parties

Cookie information. Slack uses cookies and similar technologies in our
Websites and Services to help us collect Other Information. The Websites
and Services may also include cookies and similar tracking technologies of
third parties

which is of course then shared with other parties:

Corporate affiliates. Slack may share Other Information with its corporate
affiliates, parents and/or subsidiaries.

in other words they track you in real time including where you are, and
sell information about what you discuss, what your IP address is, where
your GPS location is, to the highest bidder.

there *may* be some form of "hashing" on that however it's already been
demonstrated that collection of enough metadata aggregated from enough
sources makes even "hashing" of GPS and IP addresses utterly useless.