[Libre-soc-dev] power-instruction-analyzer v0.2.0

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Oct 29 06:25:22 GMT 2020

On 10/29/20, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 5:55 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/29/20, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I published v0.2.0 to PyPI and crates.io and created a git tag.
>> >
>> > I decided to change the version number since Luke was complaining
>> > about how not changing the version number made it annoying to update.
>>
>> i did? oh yes if that goes through automatically to pip3 then yes,
>> pip3 will go "nope sorry this is the same version, ain't gonna do it"
>> :)
>
> maturin automatically replaces the installed version whenever you run
> maturin develop ...

right. and if you recall, that fails due to i think assumptions that
it will always categorically be run under virtualenv or something,
meaning that pip3 has to be used, which has the rule that version
numbers must be respected.

pip3 respecting already-installed software packages stops cascading
hierarchical reinstalls, where a package unnecessarily reinstalls not
just itself but all dependencies as well.

the version number is a declaration / contract: "this software *is*
the exact same software to the absolute last byte" and maturin, being
inexperienced and new, doesn't yet know about these kinds of contracts
that took 20+ years for distro systems to establish.

>> fantastic.   just to check: is that required to operate normally or is
>> it only required when running tests?
>
> It's required just for human inspection, not for using
> power-instruction-analyzer.

ahh ok.

> Running native instruction tests requires
> a POWER9 processor to test against, the file is basically the test
> results, containing the calculated results for every test case.

which could then be compared elsewhere.

> Otherwise, you can run tests/use it on any computer that can compile it.

okaay interesting.