[Libre-soc-dev] efficient decoding algorithm for variable-length instructions

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 15:37:52 GMT 2020

On Thursday, November 26, 2020, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On 11/26/20, Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Good. That seems to me essential. The lack of compatibility caused by
> > needing it to be in our own mode will really undermine the usefulness of
> > much of what we’re discussing here.
>
> no it won't, and a Silver Member of the OpenPOWER Foundation
> specifically requested that we find some sort of way to isolate
> LibreSOC Mode in a way that requires some sort of privileged
> operation.

Sorry I underspecified. I meant *only* the C encoding, which I see later on
in your response is intended to be general ISA. Good. Of course SimpleV
should be in LibreSOC mode no need to try and force that where it’s not
appropriate, because it really is specific to LibreSOC/GPU mode. It just
seemed from this discussion that C mode had become conflated with SimpleV
which made no sense to me.

Cole