[Libre-soc-dev] Compressed instructions (was: Re: [libre-soc-dev] Alex Oliva's intro, and RFC on mission)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Nov 21 09:42:16 GMT 2020

On 11/21/20, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2020, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>
>> jumping straight into practical matters: we're in the middle of
>> getting SimpleV redone on top of OpenPOWER, and a first step there is
>> Compressed Instructions.
>
> So, if I understand what I read in bug 238, we are looking into
> introducing an extension to PowerISA for code compactness,

yes.  we hold these discussions in the bugtracker, under the
bugreport, so that they are not lost.

once some options crystallise, they are recorded in the wiki page,
from which later the ISA Extension document is written

an evaluation and decision is made after which implementation and
documentation takes place.

iterations and refinements including reevaluations of prior decisions
occurs based on feedback and if that involves looking back in
unstructured mailing list discussions it means time is wasted.