[Libre-soc-dev] [libre-soc-dev] Alex Oliva's intro, and RFC on mission

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Nov 19 11:10:14 GMT 2020

On 11/19/20, whygee at f-cpu.org <whygee at f-cpu.org> wrote:
> On 2020-11-19 00:00, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Hello, there,
>
> Hello and welcome Alexandre !
> Glad to know you in this one-of-a-kind project.
> We share a lot of beliefs and you can certainly help.

alexandre was one of the people helping with samba-tng over 20 years
ago.  that was a significant time, breaking microsoft's accidental
monopoly position on NT Servers. good to see you around again :)

>> I thought I'd long missed this boat, but Luke tells me I'm still
>> welcome
>> to join, so, here I am, very excited at that :-)

we've got around a year of NLnet funding to get things in shape, and
one of the critical pieces is SimpleV and Compressed augmentation of
OpenPOWER ISA.

with that implemented in binutils and also a simulator we can get
going on assembly-code optimisations to video and audio decode, and
the 3D drivers.

the first priority then, at the bottom of the stack, is binutils (gas)
support for Compressed and to develop the SV Prefix Encoding then put
that into binutils as well.

we're slightly hampered in that unlike with RISCV there do not exist
good cycle accurate simulators for ppc64 (qemu does not cut it).

anyway first things first, step by step, you saw the Charter (link
from the main wiki)?

good to have you around Alexandre.