[Libre-soc-dev] svp64

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Dec 16 11:28:55 GMT 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 10:13 AM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
>

> > * i really, REALLY do not understand the naming.  it is flat-out
> > impossible for me, due to what i am increasingly beginning to
> > recognise (after "only" 40 years) is a form of dyslexia,
>

> Oof. I appreciate the difficulty of dyslexia. I also think that there’s an
> important reason Jacob chose this naming scheme instead of using the
> existing one. Perhaps he can come up with way to write it that interferes
> less with your dyslexia, but still keeps the indication that this is a
> novel future expansion enabled naming scheme?

if it was expressed in bit-form as e.g. a VHDL or v3.0B Pseudo-code
expression, "SVname = RA || EXTRA[0] | 0b0" i would have absolutely no
problem whatsoever.  the massive tables however are almost completely
incomprehensible to me.

i look at the table and it's as if i can't see it.  due to its size* i
can't make the connection between the names and the linear SRAM... and
then the inversion of the order of the names - XXX_NN_MM - that NN
increments before MM - this third dimension, i can't handle it.

> > to interpret
> > the names.  the old SVPrefix meaning which referred to bits was dead
> > easy.
> >
> > * reduction of table names by reducing verbosity of descriptions.  i
> > use a very small screen for viewing the wiki pages: editing and just
> > reviewing is a pain.  the more words, the harder it is to understand.
>

> As you’ve mentioned previously, writing concise descriptions is harder than
> writing verbose ones. Could an interim solution be a short description with
> some kind of footnotes? Additionally, in the case where names of things
> become too long, abbreviations and a glossary could be used to cut down on
> the horizontal length of the tables.

we've a glossary somewhere.

https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=libresoc-isa-manual.git;a=blob;f=powerpc-add/src/glossary.tex;hb=HEAD