[Libre-soc-dev] memcpy optimization

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Dec 13 19:02:41 GMT 2020

On 12/13/20, Richard Wilbur <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2020, at 11:08, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/13/20, Richard Wilbur <richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why is memcpy still doing the vector flag 0 bytes (vseq.vi)?
>>
>> because i forgot to delete it?
>
> No problem.  I was trying to figure out if it was there to fill a time slot
> á la a RISC processor of yore.  Thankfully not.
>
> I think I understand a little bit about this architecture—and from what I
> can see, I like it!

cool.  it.. takes getting used to.  byte-level write mask granularity
is pretty normal on memory but certainly not on a register file.

hardware for-loops pausing the PC and running a Sub-PC? simple to
conceptualise, you wonder why the hell nobody's thought in those terms
before, and then you see the implementation details needed for a high
performance design and start screaming silently in shock :)

> Some very useful things done in one opcode that not so
> long ago required loops!

that's the idea.  and to keep it paralleliseable at the hardware end.

> Brava and bravo to the team!

:)