[Libre-soc-dev] v3.1B prefix

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 4 05:50:44 GMT 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 2:17 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 5:11 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> I created a 3rd group, SVP64 instructions, and allocated it from the
> free space in table 12. The section I chose is specifically chosen to
> be less likely to be needed since I chose it from the sections that
> have the most free space.

and, in each batch, where it does overlap, it's part of the "reserved"
encodings.

> > gaah ok got it.
> >
> > which leaves the allocation issue.  there are currently 19 of the
> > available 6:11 bits taken up by v3.1B.  that means that 16 more is a
> > whopping *thirty six percent* of space taken up,
>
> Umm, by my calculation it uses 16 out of 64 which comes to exactly 25%.

that's relative to total, not relative to total currently unallocated.
64-19=45.  16/45=35.5555%.  16/64=25%.

> > when IBM may have
> > been expecting maybe to allocate... what... an average of 2 per year
> > for the next 30 years?
>
> Well, considering they allocated more than 25% already in just the
> first version, maybe not.

which is where not being able to ask them right now is a pain.  we
have no idea what their future plans are.

ok i have a better handle on being able to write to paul, now.